If you are anything like me I’m sure that you are thinkng right now that you are so over winter. O my goodness; the snow, the cold, the wind, the minus double digits degree, the excess amount of clothes, WHEN IS IT ALL GOING TO BE OVER? I know that if I scream, holler or yell until I loose my voice there is really nothing that I can do about it, my only option is to try and wait patiently until that day eventually comes when I no longer have to wear tights with sweat pants, long sleeve shirts, sweater, winter jacket, boots and gloves. In the mean time, I will concentrate on what is it that can be done. Clearly I would love to hibernate until it all comes to pass, but that is definitely not an option, so I have to bundle up along with the rest of Canada and sadly face “Old man winter”.
So, even though I hate winter, it’s impossible to ignore it, so here are some ways that I am surviving this winter blues.
- TEA- I make sure that I always have tea in my house (Yes, as a Jamaican its only natural and the first thing I do when I get in from the cold is to turn on my kettle to make myself a cup of tea)
- EXERCISE- I try to do a little exercise each day whether its a little yoga, running on the thread mill or just some stretching. This is not something that has to take up you’re whole day, 15- 20 minutes should be fine. Doing this actually allows me to have more energy during the day.
- FOOD- I always make sure that I have enough food in the house to last me for about a good week or so, you never know when that snow storm or extreme cold alert is going to hit and I don’t look forward to going outside in bad weather.
- HIBERNATION- I try to hibernate for at least 24 hours. I try to get most things done during the week to prevent myself from going out on the weekend. I know that most poeple work during the week and prefer to do their grocery shopping on the weekend, but I try to do my shopping mostly on Fridays. Keep in mind that most grocery stores close between the hours of 8 and 10 p.m. on weekdays and since you are already outside, why not just stop by the grocery store while on your way home so you don’t have to do it on the weekend.
- ENTERTAINMENT- Since I am mostly busy during the week and I have to get up early and go to bed ealry, I try to make my weekends as free as possible. My winter weekends usually consist of staying home, catching up on my favourite shows, watching movies, reading a book, strolling social networks, networking online and ignoring whatever is going on outside.
So basically, this is how I try to beat the winter blues without going into depression, how do you beat the winter blues? hit me up and let me know.